Phillipa Klaiber (b.1992) is a long-form documentary photographer, whose projects are rooted in our connection to the land, social identity and the human need to belong. Her most recent work, Vorest, is a meditation on the changing landscape of the Forest of Dean.
Phillipa has been featured by Lens/cratch, Photomeet, The Pupil Sphere and Phroom Magazine. She was shortlisted for the GRAIN Bursary, Film Photo Award and Genesis Imaging Postgraduate Award.
She is a recent graduate of MA Photography from the University of the West of England (UWE Bristol).
On the English side of the Welsh border is the Forest of Dean. It is a forest of plantation and ancient woodland, of farmland, heathland, quarries and mines.Locally it is known as the Forest, and its inhabitants, Foresters.
In this forest there is a collective desire among the inhabitants to maintain the ecological balance of their land. There are age-old rites and laws on land use that can only be upheld by a Forester, contributing to the foundation of their culture and collective memory.
Vorest considers the relationship between the narratives of the past and the environment in the present; a shift in perspective from the modern idea of ownership of land, to a more balanced relationship with it.
This work combines my own photographs with digitally-sourced aerial images and archival material found locally. It considers the land in detail, its topography, traces of past human activity and our role within it.
I grew up on the border of the Forest. In this landscape, I am both a Forester and an outsider. Through Vorest, I endeavour to better understand this land and our place within it.
swipe left / right
scroll left / right
use your left / right arrow keys
scroll or use arrow keys left / right
- MA Photography, University of West England (2018-2020)
- BA(Hons) Fine Art Photography, University of Gloucestershire (2011-2014)
- Phroom Magazine (2020)
- The Pupil Sphere, graduate showcase (2020)
- Photomeet “The Rural” (2020)
- Lens/cratch interview and feature (2020)
- Genesis Imaging Postgraduate Award – commended entry (2020)
- Film Photo Award, student project award – finalist (2019)
- GRAIN Bursary – shortlisted (2019)
- QUOTE/UNQUOTE MA photograph graduate exhibition – online (2020)
- Zeitgeist Exhibition: Diffusion Festival, Cardiff (2017)
- Atkins CIWEM Environmental Photographer of the Year, Royal Geographical Society, London (2016)